Web Wallet

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Cristo75, Dec 22, 2017.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. Cristo75

Cristo75 New Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Female
    St. Louis, MO
    Hello,
    I am trying to figure out how to put my money in a hard wallet, and remove it from exchanges. I tried the Decred Web Wallet, but I'm confused. It just opened up without me creating an account, password or anything. Is this a glitch? I don't get it. How is it mine if it just opens automatically? It had me write down a security phrase, but it still isn't connected to an account. I just click on the Web Wallet link and it opens. I didn't even have an account on here yet, I just created this account to ask this question. Thoughts/suggestions?? Thanks in advance.

2. TonyFresh

TonyFresh New Member

Dec 25, 2017
    North Pole
    Disclaimer*** I have not used the web wallet yet, but I believe this is how it will work**** There is no "account" linked to your wallet. The web wallet generates keys based on the backup phrase that it gives you, randomly. So anytime anyone opens the web wallet for the first time it will randomly generate them a wallet and the back up phrase is what you will need to access that wallet. If you were to open that wallet again (I think maybe after deleting your browser memory) it would generate a new wallet with a new backup. If you didn't have your previous backup phrase, you would not be able to access the DCR you sent there.

It may sound crazy and not secure to have wallets generated randomly (like what if someone else generates the same backup phrase right ?) but with out getting technical, i assure you this is very secure when done right. In fact this is pretty much the same way all crypto addresses are generated and why they are so secure. The numbers are so huge that it is not practically possible for two people to generate the same wallet, or address.

I hope this helps.

3. Cristo75

Cristo75 New Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Female
    St. Louis, MO
    Thanks for the info! Still sounds scary. What do you use?