Feedback What Does The Software Need?

Discussion in 'Technical Development' started by tacotime, Feb 11, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. tacotime

tacotime Hero Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Those are good points. The landing site should be made open-source this week too. Hopefully some smart and talented web designers can modify the source as they see fit and help improve it! It would be good to share our changes on the forum for feedback too.

Reynold and zero like this.
  2. SG-O

SG-O Member
    Developer

Jan 13, 2016
    Male
    Software Dev
    Milky Way
    As I am working on a cross platform GUI, the one thing I need most, is a way to generate a new wallet from my GUI. At this moment this is almost impossible, as the current dcrwallet implementation receives the wallets encryption key via a "terminal get password" method. There is no way for my Java application to emulate the Inputs. The only other way for me to generate a new wallet at this moment would be to generate the database all by myself, a task that is, because of its complexity, not in any way feasible.
    I would like to have some additional commands added that would allow a usage like this:

decrwallet --create [--privatepass] <--seed> <--walletpass>

[] mandatory
    <>optional

It would create the wallet and return its seed.
    This implementation would make it possible to still create the wallet with the command line interface as well as creating it with a single command.

I already started working on this, but I never have worked with Go before, so it will still take some time to implement it.

Emilio Mann likes this.
  3. rohit pawar

rohit pawar Member
    Advocate (Reddit)

Dec 26, 2015
    Male
    India
  4. Emilio Mann

Emilio Mann Full Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    - zero time or instant transactions. The delay in transactions is a major problem on btc
    - anon system

5. @madferreiro

@madferreiro New Member

Dec 17, 2015
    - zero time or instant transactions. The delay in transactions is a major problem on btc
    RPF0003 PLISSSS!!!!

6. ClokworkGremlin

ClokworkGremlin Sr. Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    Not sure if this is in the pipes yet, but a console command to change the minimum wallet balance for staking without having to reboot the wallet daemon would be nice. I know you can set the max ticket price to 0 to turn it off, but this would be a little more automatic.

7. Grumlin

Grumlin New Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Male
    it doesn't work

>dcrctl.exe --wallet sendmany "default" {"DshM....":100,"DshM.....":100}
    sendmany command: parameter #2 'amounts' must be valid JSON which unsmarshals to a map[string]float64 (code: ErrInvalidType)
    Usage:
    sendmany "fromaccount" {"address":amount,...} (minconf=1 "comment")
    what i did incorrect?

8. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
  9. ClokworkGremlin

ClokworkGremlin Sr. Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    iOS and Android apps for the Copay wallet. Work has started on this here.

Additional requests which aren't currently in place:
    -A reminder to password-protect your wallet on the main screen until you do, or a required password field in the wallet creation pane
    -Ability to add memos to addresses and transactions
    -(for the Mobile version) re-enable camera to scan QR codes.

koolykg, Noah and tacotime like this.
  10. rustynail

rustynail New Member

Jan 31, 2016
    Male
    I think ease of use is paramount. User experience should be top priority.
    Docs, docs, docs, and a fancy gui.

11. Bill Threewits

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Banker
    North Carolina
    Nice updates for v0.0.6! One idea (for what it is worth):

Might it help smooth out SStx price fluctuations if we had a --wallet command of value = average SStx price? If widely used, I think it would.

This value would allow us to auto-set --ticketmaxprice= AvgSStxPrice.

12. Noah

Noah Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Feb 1, 2016
    Male
    Amsterdam
    Thank you for this thread! It shows the incredible commitment of the dev team to involve the community in the project.

We will need to start developing protocols and tools to integrate Decred payments on websites and webshops. One of the things that stimulated the growth of bitcoin is the usability of the currency (and no, I'm not suggesting we start out on the darknet).

I'm not sure how urgent this is for Decred, but I strongly suggest we start thinking about ways to spend DCR. Ethereum is facing a lot of critics right now who claim that it is a 'worthless' currency. Although it's true that the technical potential of Ethereum is huge, people will more easily dump their ETH if there are no serious opportunities to spend them. I believe Decred faces the same situation: our hybrid PoW/PoS system has a huge potential, but unless we start developing Decred payment opportunities, the broader public will regard Decred as 'just another worthless cryptocurrency'.

Yes, I know we have some options on the forum to buy t-shirts and stickers, but I'm talking about standard protocols/tools that can be used by websites and webshops all over the web. Not sure if you guys are already doing this, I thought it would be worth mentioning.

Reynold likes this.
  13. Lee Sharp

Lee Sharp Sr. Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Independent Consultant
    Houston, Texas
    Most of them just want to treat crypto currency like Visa, and just have it converted into local currency and deposited. That is a service, not a protocol.

14. Bill Threewits

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Banker
    North Carolina
    One day, one of these currencies (maybe C0 Decred) will manage to convince an entire ecosystem to begin exchanging CC with no plan to convert back to fiat.

For now, it must. So far, after extensive verification of my ID to establish an account, Coinbase allows me to purchase and transfer and verify Bitcoin in about 1/2 hour for near free fees. That beats the Swift system by quite a bit. That is the standard to beat for our Devs.

Reynold and koolykg like this.
  15. Lee Sharp

Lee Sharp Sr. Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Independent Consultant
    Houston, Texas
    Having more then one currency makes accounting a real PITA. No one does this unless they have to. Most businesses that have to actually spin off separately owned companies to make it easier. This is why they do not want to deal in crypto coins...

16. Noah

Noah Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Feb 1, 2016
    Male
    Amsterdam
    Fair enough, @Lee Sharp. The technical discussion aside, I think it is essential that we start creating payment opportunities that are open to everyone, and very easy to use. Let's develop a service that allows people to integrate Decred payments into their online business. It could be micropayments to access their website or larger sums to purchase something from their webshop. If people are into crypto they will definitely accept DCR. If not, we could offer an option that automatically converts DCR into USD or EUR. As mentioned before, our hybrid PoW/PoS system has a huge potential, but unless we start developing Decred payment opportunities, the broader public will largely ignore Decred.

Reynold likes this.
  17. Shadowlance

Shadowlance Full Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    This is a good idea, but I'm afraid it's extremely complex. First, there's the fact that opening a fiat currency exchange requires fiat currency. That means you need seed capital in whatever currencies you want to exchange. Maybe not a huge amount, maybe US100K in each currency should suffice to start. Maybe even 50K, but you need to ensure the liquidity is there for your customers. Next, is fraud. You need to be able to positively identify your customers which is usually done manually. You also need to verify their deposit/withdrawal streams. For example, you would be insane to accept credit cards. Not to mention the fees which kind of nullifies one of the benefits of cryptocurrencies. So you'll be looking at bank transfers. Verify once and no fees. Unless you're international. Which mean you'll probably want bank accounts in multiple counties. Especially if you're going to convert different currencies. Hope your accounting skills are ace. At this point you have a very fat target painted on your back that says "Hack Me!". So now you need a security team. At some point someone WILL (not might) attempt to hack or defraud you. How do you handle this? As an example, when Poloniex got hacked and lost 12.5% of their coins, they deducted 12.5 percent of ALL members coins until they could pay it back. And yes, it will be you that pays it back, there's no insurance for crypto. Then you have laws and accounting, tax, money laundering and fraud checks and the other regulations that you have to obey when dealing in fiat.

My point is that while it's a good idea it's not something the community can just put together. I think the best idea would be to lobby the fiat exchanges that already exist to add Decred. One example is www.coinspot.com.au, an Australian exchange I've used before (I had to chase them for my withdrawal though...). They do direct exchange for Bitcoin, Litecoin and Dogecoin.

Another option might be DCR to BTC exchange for businesses who already take BTC and don't want the hassle of another one. That still requires BTC capital and associated security though. There's also the issue of speed. No one wants to sit at the checkout of their online store for 10 minutes while two currencies verify.

Reynold and koolykg like this.
  18. Noah

Noah Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Feb 1, 2016
    Male
    Amsterdam
    Alright, let me be clear. I simply want to stress the importance of having real life Decred payments. That's all.

As for my idea to create payment integrations for websites or webshops: I understand that it's complex. I understand that it will take time and serious dedication to create services like this. But all the difficulties aside, we will need to make it happen.
    So again, just to be clear: we need to start developing software/services/protocols that will allow people to use Decred in real life. Let's not waste time thinking about what DOESN'T work. Let's develop SOLUTIONS. Let's come up with ideas, brainstorm on how to improve them, and create payment opportunities that will make Decred a useful currency. I'm interested to hear your ideas!

For example, what do you think about an online tipping system like this:

sambiohazard likes this.
  19. drunkenmugsy

drunkenmugsy Sr. Member
    Advocate (Reddit)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    I would like to see some kind of peer management. Automated controls to drop high ping peers or peers that dont have the current version.

Something like 'set minimum ping peer' and 'set minimum version peer'

20. root

root Member

Feb 3, 2016
    I saw a entry about similar topic, but it "was deleted per request" - who was it ? Why deleted ? I am not happy seeing peers version 0.0.1 ...