Feedback What Does The Software Need?

Discussion in 'Technical Development' started by tacotime, Feb 11, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. drunkenmugsy

drunkenmugsy Sr. Member
    Advocate (Reddit)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    I made that post and I deleted it too for personal reasons.

2. Lee Sharp

Lee Sharp Sr. Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Independent Consultant
    Houston, Texas
    I realized that was me on one of my systems yesterday. Doh! So a warning line on output of "Please upgrade to new version 0.0.8!" might be handy. :)

ClokworkGremlin likes this.
  3. Reynold

Reynold Member

Jan 28, 2016
    Male
    Programmer
    Phase 1: Would like to see an API that allows web developers to accept DCR as payment. This API should allow for main payment address as well as % of payment to other addresses. Something like mining pools do with several pool ops.

This API should be able to link to various exchanges (eg: Bittrex) to get current price in USD or even BTC so fiat minded people know how much they are spending, even if it is fed to a tooltip or other field.

Phase 2: Automatically exchange BTC to DCR if they don't have (or unfamiliar with) DCR. If the multi coin pools can do this, it can be done via API also.

I get the hurdles about the DCR to fiat that have been discussed here, but I do think this (phase 1 and 2) can and should be built so we can start accepting DCR as a payment and get the public to know we mean business (literally).

Noah likes this.
  4. Shadowlance

Shadowlance Full Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    I think this is a good idea. Shouldn't be too hard since Decred already accepts RPCs. No fiat concerns and it would make things nice and easy for merchants. I think DCR to BTC would be needed as well, at least for a while. It would be much easier to convince merchants who already accept BTC to also accept DCR if they didn't have to do accounting in two currencies + fiat.

Reynold and Noah like this.
  5. sambiohazard

sambiohazard Sr. Member

Jan 21, 2016
    I think if we can get DCR added to shapeshift, they have some nifty tools that can help with accepting DCR for payments. For example

Users can pay with altcoin on sites accepting bitcoin - https://shapeshift.io/site/tools/shapeshift-lens
    Use shapeshift on mobile, so it will allow you to pay with DCR with mobile where any coin on shapeshift is accepted - https://shapeshift.io/site/tools/shapeshift-mobile
    Allows merchants to accepts altcoins on shapeshift on their sites - https://shapeshift.io/site/tools/shifty-button
    Let users buy or sell coins directly on your site - https://shapeshift.io/site/tools/skeleton

6. ClokworkGremlin

ClokworkGremlin Sr. Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    The real challenge is convincing Shapeshift to pick us up, of course.

I wish they'd hurry up, Shapeshift support is one of the deciding factors in whether or not I mess with a coin.

zero likes this.
  7. sambiohazard

sambiohazard Sr. Member

Jan 21, 2016
    They have some pretty shitty coins there especially Archcoin which was a blatant scam, i think if we ask then they will pick us up.

8. zero

zero Full Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Male
    I am quite sure Decred will get included to it. And I think that there is more to come in general after an official Decred gui wallet release.

I have to say again that except from software the homepage is a little discouraging for newcomers and I believe until it's redesign it would be better that the homepage will redirect to the forum.

9. drunkenmugsy

drunkenmugsy Sr. Member
    Advocate (Reddit)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    With the forum being updated is there any plan to include a different theme or theme selections? I like the dark theme but it makes for hard reading when you are flipping back forth between other sites with more white space.