Where Is Tehnical Info On Algorithm, Where Is Testnet, Where Are Miners?

Discussion in 'Technical Development' started by kenshirothefist, Jan 20, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. kenshirothefist

kenshirothefist New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Hi,

Decred devs, please take this as a constructive critics, but where is technical info on algorithm (we know that it will be modified blake but we still have no details), were is testnet, where are miners? Airdrop finished several days ago, your wiki (https://wiki.decred.org/Main_Page) still holds only general info and github has not been updated. And please don't say that you're overloaded with processing email... (I hope that devs & programmers are developing&programming, not processing emails&support). This stalling sounds like so much hyping that I don't like it at all. If you were preparing the coin for so long you should have a clear roadmap and give more technical information. Otherwise than that, keep the good work!

kenshirothefist

Renato Abreu likes this.
  2. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    #2 davecgh, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    I can appreciate your excitement, but the roadmap has very clearly been laid out in a thread under the announcement section -- https://forum.decred.org/threads/airdrop-conclusion-and-road-ahead.217/.

In addition to the linked thread, something to keep in mind is just because the signup period for the airdrop is done, there still needs to be a period of time for people that were selected to receive their e-mails and register their addresses. Once all of that has been finalized, the developers still need to add all of the addresses and final distribution amount to the code repository and triple check everything and run an internal mock launch. This takes time, especially given the amount of participation in the airdrop.

As I've stated before, I'm not actively developing Decred currently even though I know a lot of the details about it since it's based on btcsuite of which I'm the lead dev and wrote a ton of code for (and will continue to write code for that will benefit Decred) and have been part of many discussions involving it. I mention that so it's clear my perspective is that of someone who is also anxiously awaiting the testnet release. However, I would hope that you agree that the developers should be focusing on doing everything they can to ensure a smooth launch as opposed to writing documentation about something that will be released in code form and be publicly available in short order. At least I know that's what I would prefer.

EDIT: I should also add there has been quite a lot technical information around the forums too.

For example:

jimmy16, tacotime and Renato Abreu like this.
  3. koolykg

koolykg Jr. Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 1, 2016
    Female
    The developers need to take their time getting everything sorted out to ensure that the launch goes as smoothly as possible. I do not understand or know a lot about the technicalities that are involved, but I do know for a project to be effective there is a process. I do not want to be involved in a currency like the ones before decred. I believe in decred, because I know that the developers are trying to be as thorough as possible to ensure that this currency is going to be here for the long term rather than the short term.

jimmy16 likes this.
  4. Lee Sharp

Lee Sharp Sr. Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Independent Consultant
    Houston, Texas
    As someone who has released an Open Source project, I can tell you that they are busy.

For one, they are finding all of the bugs and problems inherent in a complex new release. This is no small thing. It takes a lot of uninterrupted time to find bugs.

Also, they had a huge influx of people. This is both exciting, and terrifying! I remember when my project was slashdotted, and I saw the downloads go through the roof and I PRAYED northing was wrong. And there was a major bug in the release... :) No pressure...

Lastly, some of these guys also may have jobs. You know, real "pay the bills" kind of day jobs. And on a team this large, someone is sick... Or a family emergency. Life happens. And it usually causes delays... One thing I live by is that you can do anything you want, but you can not dictate the time-line. :)

jimmy16, tacotime and llewdis like this.
  5. kenshirothefist

Jan 17, 2016
    I agree on what you're saying, sure the code has to be tested, sure the devs has some other things to do besides Decred. However - they decided to go into this, and the airdrop has been finished. In this phase of the project I would expect the majority of stuff is already well tested and developed. I mean, hey, your're basically already distributing your coins and are still finishing the product? Anyway, it OK as it is, but information distribution about the coin could be much better. Technical details (not just the released general notes) should be available earlier. Making airdrop and then making people to wait about mining details, wallet details, testnet, etc. simply looks like hyping on the coin. All this could be done in more synced timeline. Other than that, as I said - keep up the good work.

6. anvoice

anvoice Member

Dec 22, 2015
    Male
    I'm certain all is being done that is possible to get things underway quickly. All that's left is to grab a bit of patience and wait, complaining will certainly speed nothing up.

7. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    No, it hasn't been completed. As I said in the original reply the signup period for the airdrop is done. There still needs to be a period of time for people that were selected to receive their e-mails and register their addresses. It was just announced yesterday that the 25th (Monday) is the cutoff for that.

8. kenshirothefist

Jan 17, 2016
    OK, but why is that stopping you from releasing testnet and mining details? It's unrelated to the airdrop.

9. jcv

jcv Full Member
    Developer

@kenshirothefist with a small team, everything is related in the sense that there are only so many hours of coding/documenting available.

jimmy16 and tacotime like this.
  10. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    Please don't take this as my being rude since it's hard to convey emotion and intent in text form, but I have to ask if you actually read my post? This is the second time you've responded with something that completely ignores what I said as if you didn't even read it.

I specifically said that "I'm not actively developing Decred", yet you asked what's stopping me from releasing details as if I'm in charge of such a thing. Nevertheless, my post also already answered your question too -- "the developers should be focusing on doing everything they can to ensure a smooth launch as opposed to writing documentation about something that will be released in code form and be publicly available in short order".

What you're proposing is that the developers stop everything and delay launch to spend a bunch of time writing documentation about something that will likely be available in code form inside of a couple of weeks. I personally don't think that makes sense nor that it would be a wise use of their limited time.

koolykg, jimmy16 and anondran like this.
  11. anondran

anondran Full Member
    Advocate (Reddit)

Jan 13, 2016
    Male
    I don't know why you are so impatient. The developers already have a clear timeline or roadmap and they're following that. I believe testnet could be released in a week and If you can't wait for a week, I don't know what you will wait for.

With the release of testnet, mining guides, documentation and software will soon be released. Your posts just cause mayhem and FUD among the community. If you think you can speed up everything, I would suggest you to develop, contribute which is unlikely.

So you must respect what devs have done so far and what they will be doing in the future.

Evilbunny, koolykg and jimmy16 like this.
  12. jimmy16

jimmy16 Jr. Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Male
    I support slow development. and after all THE issues with bit-coin core lets do this one right. we really need to be decentralized, can it be done?, that is the question?. NOT WHEN WILL MY MINING WORK... You can bet the big banks are moving to take the field. if they win everyone’s transactions will be recorded and watched from the cradle to the grave. they will own us all. slaves we will be. This FinTech is the most important deciding factor about mankind living free or not. Not a days go's by that I don’t lose money from institutions I cant fight.

Terminator, Michael and highlonesome like this.
  13. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    anondran likes this.
  14. Oscar Fotaroma

Oscar Fotaroma Jr. Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    well dude if your urge to start is damn great that you can't hold, just create your own currency ;)