Who Has Got Their Rigs Ready?

Discussion in 'Rigs' started by Minnerwitluv, Dec 29, 2015.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. zero

zero Full Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Male
    AMDs will overtake NVIDIAs on GPU mining for sure but I am hoping for an NVIDIA Cuda Miner soon. At the launch point I have to start mining with NVIDIA. Electricity cost matters for many people as well.

2. Costin

Costin Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    JavaScript
    Liverpool
    Hey mate, welcome aboard! Which Nvidia card?

3. zero

zero Full Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Male
    Hello Costin just an outdated GTX 660 at first just for some fun minning and a good AMD VGA as soon as possible. I am also hoping for AMD's 400 series release as soon as possible.

But at first I have to stick with NVIDIA and I am willing to help as much as I can everyone trying to make or setting up a Cuda Miner for "Decred-ing". I wish we will get better results with NVIDIAs on Decred mining but it's difficult.

Funny thing I have unluckily switched from ATI/AMD VGAs to NVIDIA's last year after 9 years or more, due to AMD drivers problems and low perfomance in specific applications and Linux.

jimmy16 and Lee Sharp like this.
  4. Freedom2Choose

Freedom2Choose Full Member
    Designer

Dec 17, 2015
    Designer
    USA
    I have some firepros and quadros as well as multi xeon mobos I will definately tinker around with mining and keep the garage heated this winter. As well as a R9 290 I will probably mine with when not running SC or Arc.

By the way both Nvidia (Pascal 16nm) and AMD (Polaris 14nm) are coming out with GPUs with hbm2 memory up to 16gb at 1TB/s bandwidth around 1st half of 2016.

*mic drop*

5. Freedom2Choose

Designer

Dec 17, 2015
    Designer
    USA
    #25 Freedom2Choose, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    @zero AMD finally decided to bring their radeon software into the current century from catalyst to crimson. I think they are going to start supporting Linux more in the future from what I have been reading.

@Krypto You are looking for motherboards with as many pcie slots as you can find. If you want the R9s to be plugged directly into the mobo I would limit yourself to 2 R9s and you will need a mobo where the pcie spacing will allow for 2 PGUs to be inserted. If you want to run up to 6 this board would work but you would need to run powered pcie risers and mount the GPUs outside of the case. Mind your power requirements as well as cooling, these will get HOT.

@Blue_Monk This guy CryptoBadger had one of the best btc mining guides around, it looks like it has now been modified for litecoin. As far as the hardware is concerned it would be good to read through. Once you hit the software stuff that's where it guide wont work any more as decred uses a different algorithm.

6. anvoice

anvoice Member

Dec 22, 2015
    Male
    Can those risers be plugged into a separate PSU? I have a 295X2 on the way and only a 750W main PSU, might be a bit much for it. Worried about lack of common ground connection/other potential conflicts of using separate power supplies though, not sure what the architecture there is.

7. Freedom2Choose

Designer

Dec 17, 2015
    Designer
    USA
    Yes I believe that multiple PSUs can be used but it does require some MacGyvering. Check out this thread and see if it answeres your questions.

8. anvoice

anvoice Member

Dec 22, 2015
    Male
    Thanks, I think that's it. Won't be a work of art, but should work at least...

9. Freedom2Choose

Designer

Dec 17, 2015
    Designer
    USA
    So technically the risers wont be powering the GPU itself. Most 16x pcie lanes have 75 watts of power that they get from the motherboard (no external wires) this is enough to power low end GPUs like a 750ti. When you are using more powerful GPUs you are plugging power from the PSU directly into the GPU. The use of powered risers vs non powered risers arose from the cheap non powered versions basically melting back in the day. I would just plug the powered riser into whichever PSU is powering that specific GPU. But see my above post for running 2 PSUs on the same mobo.

10. anvoice

anvoice Member

Dec 22, 2015
    Male
    Yes, I believe that link describes a working solution. Simply plugging in a PSU would leave the problem of 1) how to turn it on and 2) common ground connection, so the addon card is necessary.

11. Freedom2Choose

Designer

Dec 17, 2015
    Designer
    USA
    I took a sawzall to my first rig! It was definately ugly but it worked.

12. Lenasurlenet

Lenasurlenet New Member
    Translator (Français)

Dec 27, 2015
    Female
    Paris
    Hi there,

For someone who does not know what to look at in an open computer would it be possible to mine Decred on a simple MacBook? a really cheap Raspberry pi?

Thank you for your time.

13. Lenasurlenet

Lenasurlenet New Member
    Translator (Français)

Dec 27, 2015
    Female
    Paris
    Hi there,

For someone who does not know what to look at in an open computer would it be possible to mine Decred on a simple MacBook? a really cheap Raspberry pi?

Thank you for your time.

14. Costin

Costin Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    JavaScript
    Liverpool
    From what I know, mac OSX won't have support, therefore you can't mine on mac. Raspberry pi is cool to use if you want to controll all your other rigs. That to be said, you need computing power, for example, 2 AMD video cards (r9 290x) will bring you about 6-7 MH (just a guess before the release, don't bite).

15. Freedom2Choose

Designer

Dec 17, 2015
    Designer
    USA
    I wonder if he could dual boot linux and just mine from there. I would not recomend mining with a laptop. Its basically a stress test 24/7 on the gpu, although you could turn the aggression down to like half.

16. zero

zero Full Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Male
    Can someone give me updated hashrate comparisons of these VGAs: GTX 660, GTX 750Ti, GTX 950, GTX 960 and R9 380(not X)? Will one AMD R9 380 give me more than twice (2x) the hashrate of one NVIDIA GTX 950 or GT960?

Is it worth it start mining Decreds with only one of these cards at least for the begging?

17. Costin

Costin Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    JavaScript
    Liverpool
    Hey Zero, there won't be an exact hash rate until release. There will be a page on the wiki website though, I'm sure, in the future. But us the community will make it happen. About Nvidia/AMD, AMD usually is better for farming as it can bring more hashes/second but at the cost of more power.

18. jiecut

jiecut New Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Male
    I have 2 r9 280X's from the Litecoin boom days. They haven't been mining for awhile. But excited to get them running again.

19. zero

zero Full Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Male
    Yeah it's too soon and anyway I have no luck mining with a single card and mostly with a Kepler GPU (GTX 660) which has even less capabilities than Maxwells GPUs (GTX 750Ti, GTX 9xx) on mining.

AMD multi VGAs will be better at start but for how long Decred will be ASIC proof?

20. anvoice

anvoice Member

Dec 22, 2015
    Male
    Until it's worth it to make a very expensive mask and develop the ASICs, i.e. until Decred's price on exchanges skyrockets.