Who Has Got Their Rigs Ready?

Discussion in 'Rigs' started by Minnerwitluv, Dec 29, 2015.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. Anarki

Anarki Jr. Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    If your planning to use only that card for dedicated mining for the first 1-2 years 24/7 then yes go get it,
    If the main use is gaming/rendering and when it's not being used for at least 8-16 hours everyday go for it.
    other than that I would say mine what you can if you have a sufficient current GPU and when the exchange is available go buy coins.

As a note; I'm not an expert but this is just my suggestion with the limited amount of information on the market predictions, amd mining performance and the window before ASIC are dominant.

anondran and Jim like this.
  2. above

above New Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Is there a noob friendly guide about mining configuration on software side, like explaining the commands used etc.

3. anondran

anondran Full Member
    Advocate (Reddit)

Jan 13, 2016
    Male
    #123 anondran, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    Not yet. Once testnet is released, devs will release the mining guide and binaries so that we can identify any bugs or errors and report to the team.

tacotime likes this.
  4. Jim

Jim New Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    South England
    Thank you for the advice.
    It would be used purely for mining 24/7 and as you said probably for the first couple of years at least (if it goes well I will add to the setup) I honestly believe in this project and want to get as many coins as possible early on!

So you think the time will come when Decred becomes dominated by ASICs?

5. Blue_Monk

Blue_Monk New Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    I don't know about that. Most likely most will keep using GPU's and those that can afford it will get some ASIC rigs.
    I wouldn't go ASIC. Maybe FPGA because i can repurpose them later if i have to.
    I for one can't mine at the moment anyway. My Titan X was send back for a refund so now i'm back to my old GTX670.
    I'll get 2 R9 in March but until then... not much I can do really.

6. jimmy16

jimmy16 Jr. Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Male
    Had my Tesla ruining 6.5 MH/s for about 30 minutes....before the crash...im getting closer/ muhammuha!!

7. LewiesMan

LewiesMan New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Male
    My rig is not the fastest... but it does the job! esp on non-asic algorithms. I'm using a msi 6870 (modified from a 6570) I get just over 250 khs on
    script... (Low intensity) so I'm ready to mine... My rig specs(if allowed) : windows 10 64-bit OS, 8gb-ram, 2TB HDD capacity, 1 amd 3,85ghz quad-core cpu/apu, 1 makeshift msi/amd 6870(100% working) gpu. Rig has sufficient cooling.
    Sorry if this looks like bragging.(not my intention) just sharing the much needed info. Hopefully my rig is up to the task!(I'm very confident)

8. anvoice

anvoice Member

Dec 22, 2015
    Male
    Anything successful will eventually become dominated by ASICs.

sambiohazard likes this.
  9. Blue_Monk

Blue_Monk New Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    I wish there was a way to make the algo dinamic. that would level the playing field :D.

10. kingscrown

kingscrown New Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Male
    what are the dates of release of this? im lost a bit :)

11. shoshin

shoshin Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Nothing is set in stone. The testnet should launch in a week or two, this will be followed by mainnet's launch a week after that.

tacotime likes this.
  12. WilderX

WilderX New Member

Dec 17, 2015
    Male
    6x290X + 3xFury X ready to go.

13. above

above New Member

Jan 12, 2016
    whats better, buying a gpu and mine or buying dcr in an exchange with the same amount of money?

14. jolan

jolan Sr. Member
    Developer

Dec 7, 2015
    Male
    Decred Team Member
    Here's some things to consider:

- You'll be competing against lots of other people who have dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of GPUs.
    - No one knows where the decred price is going to go. You may have a negative return on the initial outlay for a GPU + electricity costs.
    - Proof of stake provides rewards as well. More info available about that here: https://forum.decred.org/threads/understanding-of-proof-of-stake.180/#post-2145
    - Next generation 14/16nm GPUs are coming out this year and will be much more powerful/energy efficient.

Also really depends on if you view at as a hobby, an investment, or a bit of both.

There are a lot of hobbyist miners who buy an expensive GPU for gaming (980 ti / Fury X) or an inexpensive one (750 ti) for a home theater PC and then mine when the GPU isn't otherwise busy. Also, you don't always have to buy new. Places like gpuShack sell used mining GPUs and there's refurbished EVGA B-Stock cards. The warranties are shorter though.

tacotime and sambiohazard like this.
  15. shoshin

shoshin Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    This is a hard question to answer without knowing what the global hash rate will be as well as your individual hash rate... If you are buying hardware with the sole purpose of acquiring DCR you may very well turn out to be better off simply buying the DCR on an exchange if your goal was simply to acquire as many coins as possible. On the other hand if you already have or intend to purchase a card which you will use for gaming/rendering/computation work and simply wish to mine with it when it is not being used for other purposes then purchasing a card may make more sense. Mining will be a better learning experience if you do not mind a bit of noise and excess heat...

tacotime and davecgh like this.
  16. above

above New Member

Jan 12, 2016
    So are u saying buying on the exchange can give you more decred than mining it?

17. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    Well, I think it's safe to say that as long as the average number of coins available for sale on exchanges per 5 minutes is more than are being created by mining new blocks in the same period that you could clearly obtain more Decred by purchasing it than by mining it so long as you're willing to pay for it.

However, I think your question probably meant to ask whether or not it would be cheaper to buy a given amount of Decred from an exchange versus mining it. In that case, as @shoshin pointed out, this question can't really be answered without knowing a lot of variables. At the very least you need to know the global hash rate and your individual hash rate. Then you have to factor in things such as the cost of electricity, whether or not you can use the excess heat generated, and how quickly the global hash rate is climbing with respect to your equipment in order to amortize its cost. The total sum of all variables involved is what determines your actual cost per coin through mining.

It is entirely possible that for some individuals, such as those who live in hot climates where it requires a lot of extra energy for cooling and/or those who have higher electricity costs than others, that the cost to mine a single coin ends up being more than the exchange rate.

Freemind, tacotime and Blizzy like this.
  18. windyfly

windyfly New Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Texas
    Thanks for the comment. 2x R9 will be linearly adding up the Hash rate or have the effect of 1+1>2? I've been watching R9 since cuda mining seems to come out later.

19. sambiohazard

sambiohazard Sr. Member

Jan 21, 2016
    In my experience, mining is at best break even or slightly profitable activity. You can almost always get more coins for same amount of btc/$ from exchange than from mining. If it is your hobby and you want to support the network/accumulate coins then its okay to do it, also dont think of covering the cost of electricity by selling coins but rather include it in your investment & wait until it is profitable for you to use/sell your coins, because other wise you will end up with less coins and putting downward pressure on exchange rate.

Personally, i would mine as a hobby for sometime & keep buying on dumps.

Johnshpon3 likes this.
  20. LewiesMan

LewiesMan New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Male
    I hope you will be supporting Nvidia Cards with 2.0/2.1 compute capability... I just bought an not too expensive new NVIDIA GT-610 4gig, ddr3
    So far it's performing quite well (given the software I use is compute 2.0/2.1 compatable.) Anyway, can't wait for launch... keep up the good work!